Tuesday, April 9, 2013

How Does Your Car Protect You From Lightning?

While taking shelter in a permanent structure is always the best course of action during a thunderstorm, vehicles are generally regarded as a safe alternative.  Only tornadic winds have the strength to flip a typical vehicle and while cars may be dented, only exceptionally large hail will actually break through the windows.  Most importantly, vehicles are known to be a safe place to avoid being struck by lightning.  But how do vehicles protect us from lightning and do all vehicles protect us equally?

A common belief is that the rubber tires on cars insulate the vehicle from the ground, protecting the occupants should lightning strike.  While rubber is an electric insulator, the amount of voltage carried by a lightning bolt is far too great to be insulated by rubber.  It is not the tires of vehicles, but their metal frames which protect you from lightning.  When lightning strikes a vehicle, the metal frame of the car absorbs the electricity, conducts it around the occupants, and into the ground.  This means that as long as you're not touching anything metal inside your car at the moment of the strike, you will not be harmed.

Since it's the metal frame that protects you, it's important to note that only vehicles with a hard top are a safe refuge during a thunderstorm.  Even though convertibles have metal in them too, metal only conducts electricity; it does not attract it.  If you're inside a convertible, a lightning strike could miss the metal frame, easily burn through the soft top, and strike you inside.

Check out the BBC video below to see what happens when a lightning simulator is used on a car with a person inside.  The results are quite impressive!

         

7 comments:

  1. Professionally written blogs are rare to find, however I appreciate all the points mentioned here. I also want to include some other writing skills which everyone must aware of.
    ทะเบียน รถ มงคล

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprising background experienced in everything sentence of this article. I made a decent attempt to get hint about how I could demonstrate substance of this blog. I must say, not much powerful but rather I surrendered every one of my weapons soon after understanding it.ลากรถเสีย

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to know more about these suggestive points. Give me little more brief and I think they can help me. Here the mentioned points are very useful and I am definitely going to adopt in my life.ที่เช็ดกระจก

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really a helpful blog to find some different source to add my knowledge. I came into aware of new professional blog and I am impressed with suggestions of author.
    รถ มือ สอง บาง แสน

    ReplyDelete
  5. Graceful written content on this blog is really useful for everyone same as I got to know. Difficult to locate relevant and useful informative blog as I found this one to get more knowledge but this is really a nice one.เบอร์โทรรถลาก

    ReplyDelete
  6. The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention. Do you want to change your car tyres? Are you looking to buy car tyres bangalore? Well, TyresNmore is a leading destination for buying tyres online in India with doorstep delivery and tyre fitting service. We have the leading tyre brands at the most competitive price. Keeping utmost customer convenience in mind, Tyresnmore has been designed in a way to make browsing, selecting, buying and fitting tyres seem like an easy task for every owner. With Tyresnmore, customers can save time, money and efforts, providing the best tyres. car tyres bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  7. I welcome all the suggestion mentioned in this blog related to new learning skills. It is definitely going to help me to adopt new exited way of learning. I think, others will also feel helpful this blog for their needs.Mobile valeting

    ReplyDelete